Whether you are a novice chef or a seasoned pro – you can make a pot pie, and you should make this one. The seasonal veggies and savory chicken were all sourced from the Ithaca Farmers Market in the chilly month of November – you can eat local in the winter! The recipe may look intimidating because of all the steps, but they’re very simple. Start this when you have ample time (or split the work into two days) – we think it’s the perfect meal for a lazy Sunday.
The smells will fill your home for hours and in the end you are left with a true “from scratch” masterpiece, something to be proud of! AND it’s huge, so you’ll eat it for days.
This is a 3-part recipe. Part 1: cook chicken and veggies, the “filling”
Ingredients for filling
4lb. Whole chicken
3 large carrots
2 medium white onions
2 medium parsnips (peeled)
1 lb. white potatoes
3 sticks celery
8 sprigs fresh rosemary
8 sprigs fresh thyme
5 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves
6 tbsp olive oil
6 tbsp kosher salt
2-3 tbsp Tuscan Garden olive oil
3 tbsp black pepper
1. Roughly chop all vegetables into about 1 inch by 1 inch pieces.
2. Toss the veggies with 6 tbsp of olive oil, 4 tbsp salt, 2 tbsp pepper. Fill a deep roasting pan with veggies and bury 5 sprigs each of fresh rosemary, thyme, and bay leaf.
3. Add one cup chicken stock to the veggies in pan. Place chicken on top of veggies. Rub chicken with 2 tbsp Tuscan Garden olive oil, 2 tbsp salt and 1 tbsp pepper. Stuff chicken with 6 garlic cloves, 3 springs of fresh rosemary and 3 sprigs of fresh thyme.
4. Cover with foil and cook for 90min at 350 degrees.
5. Uncover and cook for an additional 30 mins at 400 degrees, or until center of breast temps at 165 degrees. Let rest for 30 min.
6. When cool – pull meat from chicken and cut into bite size pieces.
7. Remove veggies from pan and drain. Set aside excess chicken stock and chop veggies into bite size pieces.
Part 2: make the gravy
Ingredients for gravy
1 cup flour
1 cup chicken stock
8 oz. salted butter
1 cup heavy cream
1. Melt 8 oz salted butter on stove.
2. Add 1 cup flour and whisk until combined.
3. Add 1 cup chicken stock and 2 cups of pan juices left from the roast chicken and vegetables.
4. Add 1 cup heavy cream and simmer to thicken. Add 1 tbsp salt and 1/2 tbsp pepper.
5. Once thickened, add the cooked chicken and vegetables.
6. Mix until all veggies and chicken are coated.
Part 3: make the crust
Ingredients for Crust
3 cups flour
3 sticks cold, unsalted butter
5 tbsp cold water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1. Combine dry ingredients.
2. Cut butter into dry mixture until the mixture resembles pea-sized butter balls.
3. Add all wet ingredients.
4. Knead by hand until completely combined
5. Form a ball, split into two parts — 1/3 and 2/3. The larger is your bottom crust.
6. Using a floured surface, roll the larger pastry ball and form into a flat circle large enough to cover the entire bottom and sides of your (deep) glass pie dish and add to dish. Roll smaller ball into a circle large enough to cover the dish and set aside.
7. When ready, add filling with gravy on top of dough in dish. Then roll on the smaller circle to cover the top. Use a fork to crimp the top and bottom crusts together to form a seal. Cut (8) 3-inch slits into the top of the crust to help release air while cooking.
8. Bake at 425 degrees for 30-40 mins, or until top crust is golden brown.